Posted on

Bunn named 2018 National Merit Scholar finalist

Share

news@theeveningtimes.com

The process itself is a test.

The gauntlet run by a National Merit Scholarship Finalist challenges the student, parents, and school counselors. Marion High School senior Claire Bunn scored a 1540/1600 on her SAT and landed in the top one percent of all the college entrance exams taken.

Bunn said she could not have done it without the inspiration and encouragement of parents and the help of her teachers and counselor. She started by expressing an attitude of gratitude.

“I am grateful for all the support here at the high school,” said Bunn. “Every teacher has helped and encouraged me to reach for the stars. I’ve had a really great experience.”

Her parents, Jim and Caryn Bunn, served as life long inspiration too. Dad is a chemical engineer and mom works in accounting.

Claire is planning a college study path that combines science and numbers.

“I want to major in biochemistry and double major or minor in statistics,” said Claire. “My parents were a large push. Once when I got good grades the reward was a periodic table shower curtain. So, there is a definite presence of math and science in the household.”

Claire, in turn, lined up to take the advanced placement classes at Marion High School and received more inspiration from faculty and staff. “Getting to take the math and science classes at the high school, AP math, science and calculus, I realized how much I really love those topics,” said Claire.

“The teachers really helped me explore those subjects though reading. I’ve always read a lot. I’ve gotten into science non-fiction lately.

When you read about all that is going on, it really pushes me to go on with the things I can do.”

Bunn tested over two school years to step into the rare air as a finalist. She went on a watch list after scoring well on her PSAT as a junior.

“Those that score highest in their state move on to become an national merit semi-finalist,” said Bunn.

“By October of my senior year I had to submit an essay and another SAT score before advancing to finalist. I studied hard for the test because I knew it came with a lot of scholarship money. I knew I was capable, and it was something I really wanted to try for.”

Claire wrote about lessons learned while competing in spelling bees.

“In sixth through eighth grade I competed in spelling bees hard core,” said Claire. “I felt like I repeatedly failed because I always fell short of nationals. I was third in the regional bee and was so close to going to nationals. It was like the same thing every year. But looking back, that was the first time I competed for something on a larger level and it taught me so much about perseverance and work ethic.

Even though I did not come home with a trophy there are so many skills and traits that I now attribute to my study habits that I learned through spelling bees. So the essay was all about learning to look for success in all my endeavors.”

The senior hasn’t been just about all books. Claire has enjoyed a well rounded extra curricular experience as a leader at Marion High School.

“I played tennis and am co-captain of the girls soccer team,” said Claire. “ I serve as editor of the school newspaper and president of the student council.”

Claire said watch out.

Younger brother Reid is a sophomore on the way up and may trace big sister’s steps in the scholarship quest. She assessed her younger brother and offered encouragement.

“He is smarter than me,” said Claire. “If you give us both a math problem, he will do it faster. If he studies he will be able to do it, too.”

Exactly which college Claire chooses is still up in the air.

“I decided if I can get away without paying for college, that is what I want to do,” said Claire. “There are different colleges that recruit National Merit Scholars, so they’ll automatically

pay all your tuition

looking at packages like that.”

Marion Superintendent Dr. Glen Fenter was quick to offer high praise for Bunn’s accolades.

“We are very proud of Claire and her tremendous achievement,” said Fenter.

“Obviously, she is an extraordinarily gifted young lady with a tremendous work ethic and a unbelievably

bright future. Claire is

the kind of student that every teacher dreams of working with and obviously many of our faculty and staff worked very hard to help provide a strong foundation for her success.

Clearly, a National Merit Scholar talent comes along very rarely and our district is extremely proud to claim her as a Marion Patriot.”

By John Rech

LAST NEWS
Scroll Up