Posted on

Christian business FamilyLife leaving Arkansas

Christian business FamilyLife leaving Arkansas

Share

LITTLE ROCK — FamilyLife, a Christian-based business, is moving its headquarters out of state next year.

The 43-year-old company employs more than 200 people at its west Little Rock campus of Cantrell.

Ed Willis developed the area of west Little Rock called The Ranch. It’s home to businesses, Pinnacle Valley Middle School and Familylife, for now. They recently announced plans to move to Orlando next year to the Cru headquarters. “What started as marriage and family training for Cru staff members grew into an international ministry. The move will provide the space, technology, and global communications- the infrastructure and the atmosphere-to accelerate the effort to impact every home,” FamilyLife President David Robbins said in a statement.

“You don’t hope that that happens, but growth happens and we grow with it,” Willis said.

Though about 200 people face employment questions, Willis says more jobs could be coming with the next company since the building can fit up to 375.

“Anyone who’s going to use that whole building will have at least 200 employees.”

“For more than 43 years, Little Rock, Arkansas-based FamilyLife has been dedicated to strengthening marriages and families through biblical resources, radio and events,” said Robbins. “What started as marriage and family training for Cru staff members grew into an international ministry with more than 3 million people attending events, 1.6 million weekly radio listeners, and distribution of resources in more than 100 countries. Yet, there is still much to be done. Families are facing more challenges than ever before. We believe changing the world starts one home at a time. In order for FamilyLife to reach every family, we need to position and mobilize our resources and people for maximum effectiveness.”

***

Couple charged with making porn in public say Constitutional rights were violated with arrest

TRUMANN — In July of 2017, Leslie Session and Derek Calloway were arrested on numerous charges after they allegedly filmed numerous sex acts at a Jonesboro restaurant, in the parking lot of a home improvement store, at a park and at a nature center. The couple then promoted the video recordings on social media, alerting police.

With a court date pending, the pair are now making the assertion that making porn videos in public is an expression of free speech. Lawyers for the couple argue that the state’s statutes regarding x-rated videos and their promotion on social media are unconstitutional.

On Friday, Aug. 30, the pair’s attorney filed a motion asking that an Arkansas judge declare three state statutes unconstitutional. Those statutes include Arkansas Code Annotated 5-68-307 which covers “the public display of hardcore sexual conduct in an open public place;” Arkansas Code 5-68-203 which covers the creation of x-rated films; and Arkansas Code 5-68-304 which covers the promotion of such films.

“All three statutes are unconstitutionally overbroad that unnecessarily infringes on defendants’ right to privacy, free expression and constitutes and unwarranted invasion into their personal life,” according to the motion.

Both defendants are scheduled to appear in court in January for trial.

***

Raffle for AR-15 to support Jonesboro Westside school band trip draws criticism

JONESBORO — A parent-led booster club supporting an Arkansas school district that was the site of a 1998 shooting is drawing criticism for its plans to auction off an AR-15 rifle.

The fundraiser is to raise money so Westside High School’s band can go to Florida for a performance.

In 1998, four students and one teacher were killed when two students, then ages 11 and 13, opened fire at Westside Middle School near Jonesboro. One shooter, Andrew Golden, later changed his name to Drew Grant and died in a car crash earlier this summer.

Booster club president, Stacy Walz tells The Jonesboro Sun that she understands the criticism but says the district is filled with gun enthusiasts who support the fundraiser. The district’s superintendent says the auction is not a school-sponsored fundraiser.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LAST NEWS
Scroll Up