The Evening Times prints briefs about events for organizations, schools and governmental agencies. News briefs are accepted at the Times office, by fax at 735- 1020 or by e- mail news@ theeveningtimes. com. Always include contact information.
• Crittenden County Election Commission Meeting – Thursday, July 28 starting at noon (12 p.m.) in the Election Commission Office at 116 Center St., Marion. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss polling locations for the General Election to be held on Nov. 6 and preparation for State of Arkansas County Election Commission Association Meeting to be held in Little Rock on Aug. 11.
• Good Neighbor Love CenterAnnual Canned Food Drive – Accepting non-perishable food items Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at 709 E. Broadway. For more information call 870-735-0870.
• West Memphis Senior Life Center Food Bank – Every third Thursday at 318 W. Tyler, West Memphis. Registration 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. Lunch served 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. For information call 870-702-7738.
– at the Wonder City Boys and Girls Club through Aug. 1. Program will provide nutritious meals (breakfast and lunch) to all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. Breakfast 9 a.m. and lunch 11:30 a.m.
• Alanon and Alateen Meetings – Alanon Mondays at 8 p.m., Wednesdays at 12 noon and Thursdays at 6 p.m. Ala-teen meetings Thursdays at 6 p.m. All meetings are at the AA Clubhouse at 1233 Park Drive, West Memphis (behind Popeye’s Chicken on Missouri).
• NAMI Arkansas Support Group – 2nd Friday of each month at 11 a.m. The location is Mid-South Health Systems, 905 N. 7th St., West Memphis. For more information contact Charlotte Wade at email@example.com.
• Car Wash – “Race For Jesus” Connect Group Car Wash at River Church, 390 W. Jackson, West Memphis, Saturday, July 30, beginning at 7 a.m. $5 Cars, $7 trucks.
• All Girls Pajama Jam – Saturday, July 30 from 12 to 5 p.m. at the Wonder City Girls and Boys Club located on 25th Street in West Memphis sponsored by the Black Out Ryders. All girls are asked to wear pajamas and prizes will be given out for the “Best PJ’s.” There will be games, raffles, music, food, ice cream and lots of giveaways. All ages are welcome.
• Avondale Elementary Registration for Kindergarten and 1st Grade
– Monday, Aug. 1 and continue through Monday, Aug. 15, the first day of school. Registration hours 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. M-F. Those students fully registered are invited to participate in Avondale’s ‘Kindergarten Kamp’ on Wednesday, Aug. 3 from 9 to 11 a.m. or on Thursday, Aug. 4 from 4 to 6 p.m. Children must be 5 years of age before Aug. 1 to register for kindergarten. For questions call 870735-4588.
• Lakeshore Community Clean-Up – Fill the Dumpster at New Home Baptist Mission, 377 Estate, the church next to the park, Monday, Aug. 1 through Wednesday, Aug. 3. Some limited roadside pick up Monday, Aug. 1. Stop by the church for arrangements. No tires, paint or electronics.
• West Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organization – Citizens Advisory Committee and Public Meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at 10 a.m. Technical Coordinating Committee Meeting on Thursday, Aug. 4 at 10 a.m. Policy Committee on Tuesday, Aug. 9 at 10 a.m. all meetings will be held at West Memphis City Hall, 205 S. Redding, West Memphis. The public is invited to attend. For more information contact the MPO at 870-735-8148 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our web site at wmats.org
• Taste of the Town – Tuesday, Aug. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Southland Gaming and Racing. Featuring the Cummins Band sponsored by Evolve Bank and Trust. For tickets call 870-735-8814 & 870-735-8814.
• Free HIV Testing – Crittenden County Health Department, 901 N. 7th St., West Memphis Wednesday, Aug. 3 from 8 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. For additional information call 870-735-4334.
• Clothes and Back to School Supplies Giveaway – Friday, Aug. 5 from 12 to 4 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 6 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at First Missionary Baptist Church, 420 S. 12th, West Memphis. Sponsored by Mission Circles. Clothes for kids and adults. The public is invited.
• Kids Crusade – Friday, Aug. 5 at 5:45 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 6 at 10 a.m. at Restoration Life Church, 166 Pine St., Marion. Back Pack Giveaway Sunday at 10:30 a.m. Inflatables and prizes Saturday and Sunday.
• Back To School Kickoff – Saturday, Aug. 6, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Bethel AME Church, 2403 Barton Ave., West Memphis. Kickoff the new school year with information on bullying, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), literacy and more. School supplies will be given away and lunch will be provided. For more information go to www.wmaacdst.org.
• National Breastfeeding Month Celebration – At the Crittenden County Health Department, 901 N. 7th St., on Monday, Aug. 8, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Educational information, health information and more, including a proclamation by County Judge Woody Wheeless. The public is invited.
• Summer of Dance – The L.R. Jackson Girls Club, Inc. and the Dazzling Diamonds Dance Team will be sponsoring an 8-week Dance Camp through Aug. 12. Registration is open to girls ages 5 to 18. Activities include: Etiquette training, mentoring, gymnastics, strengthening and conditioning workout, basic and advanced dance techniques, leadership development, community service, fundraising project and two field trips. Meals and snack will be provided. Register at the L.R. Jackson Girls Club,
• Summer Food Locations – Through Aug. 17: Rowe Park, North 11St., West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; Matthews Park, 600 Vanderbilt, West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; Meadows Apartments, 1101 S. Avalon, West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; Wonder Jr. High ATA, 801 S. 16th St., West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./ Lunch 12 p.m.; Horton Park, 1931 Scottswood St., West Memphis. Lunch 10 a.m./ Supper 5 p.m.; Marion Church of God, 1747 Hwy. 64, Marion. Sunday and Wednesday Lunch 10 a.m./snack 12:15 p.m.; Grimsley Park, 579 Balfour Rd., West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; Hicks Park, 301 W. Bond, West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; West Memphis High School Football, 501 W. Broadway, West Memphis. Breakfast 7:30 a.m./Lunch 11 a.m.; West School, 301 S. Avalon, West Memphis. Breakfast 8:30 a.m./Snack 11:45 a.m.; Marion High, 1 Patriot Dr., Marion. Breakfast 10 a.m./Lunch 12:30 p.m. (Begins July 11); Hightower Park, 14th St., West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; Cheer City United, 104 Block St., West Memphis. Supper 4 p.m./Snack 5:15 p.m.; Daysprings, 1227 Hwy. 77, Marion. Breakfast 9 a.m./Lunch 12 p.m.; J.W. Rich Girls Club, 519 Shopping Way, West Memphis. Breakfast 8 a.m./Lunch 12 p.m.; Tilden Rodgers Sports, Airport Rd., West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; West Memphis Learning Center, 201 S. B.J. Taylor St., Proctor. Breakfast 9:30 a.m./Lunch 11:30 a.m.; 10th Street Mini Park, 10th Street and Polk, West Memphis. Breakfast 10 a.m./Supper 5 p.m.; True Vine, 147 Rt. 1, Proctor. Sunday through Friday Lunch 12 p.m./Snack 1:15 p.m.
• Summer Food Program – Total Deliverance Cathedral Church, 400 Commerce St., Earle, through Aug. 17 M-F lunch served at noon, breakfast served at 8:30 a.m. and Saturday Aug. 13 lunch at noon; L. C. Jones, 23905 Hwy. 70m Heth Supper Aug. 6 at 7:30 p.m.; Cornerstone COGIC, 1028 Alabama St., Earle, Aug. 7 supper at 5:30 p.m.; Kingdom Seekers International, 1750 E. Broadway, West Memphis, through Aug. 17, every Sunday supper 1 p.m., every Wednesday supper at 7:45 p.m.; House of Prayer Fellowship, 1217 2nd St., Earle, through July 31 every 4th Sunday supper at 6:30 p . m .
• Local Emergency Planning Commission – Hosting a workshop Thursday, Aug. 11 at Guarantee Banquet Room in the Holiday Plaza Mall, 1800 N. Missouri St., West Memphis beginning at 8:30 a.m. through 4 p.m. The workshop will serve as the July and August 2016 meeting.
• Delta Market – 3rd Tuesday each month. Aug. 16, Sept. 20 and Oct. 18 at ASU Mid-South North Campus, 2000 W. Broadway (near soccer fields).
• Summer Feeding Program